Taking to the roads during the summer holidays can be an wonderful adventure for the whole family. Planning is key! Here are several things to consider when planning a road trip to ensure you and your family have a great time.
1. What is your budget? Create a list of all the things you want to do and see.
- cost to get your car checked up prior to traveling
- gas (look at the milage charts and calculate)
- tolls (round trip)
- hotels (taxes, gratuity, resort fees, parking)
- food, tax and gratuity - (look at the menu’s of restaurants you want to enjoy)
- emergency fund – extra overnight stay, car troubles, weather issues
- tourist attraction costs & parking
- spa offerings
- equipment rentals – SUP, kayak, pontoon, canoe, fishing equipment
- golf fees and gratuities
- postcards and stamps
2. Ideally, visit your local AAA and work with one of their travel specialist to plan your trip. AAA is an amazing resource and can make planning so much more helpful. They provide valuable information. They can also help you with your budget.
3. If you do not have AAA in your area, map out your trip with an old fashioned paper map. Add in the sites you want to see along the way. Note the travel distance.
4. Calculate your ideal amount of time you want to be in the car? Some people are road warriors and drive straight through to their destination, but I find making 1 – 2 stops in interesting locations along the way, breaks up the trip up. And as a bonus you’ll add more of an adventure element to your trip and you’ll discover new places.
5. Choose hotels that you and your family will be most comfortable at. There are so many different types of hotels that are ideal choices for families, couples, singles etc.
6. Save money and pack a cooler with waters, snacks, fruits, and other healthy choices to enjoy along the way and on your stay. I love packing our little blender to make protein shakes in the hotel room for my breakfasts. Also pack garbage bags, wet naps and yes, toilet paper!
7. Make sure to pack a camera or use your phone. Take photo’s the whole way. This is a great way to create wonderful memories for children. At the end of your trip think about creating a book that you can keep for years to come.
8. Remember to tip!
- Doorman & Valet: $5.00
- Concierge: $5.00
- Dining server: 15 – 20%
- Hotel cleaning person: $5.00 minimum, more for 3+ days
9. Check your tire air pressure along the way.
10. Clean your windshield
11. Drive safely!!
Have a wonderful summer!! Explore this beautiful country!